As the early church expanded outside Jerusalem, new churches were planted in various cities. Each church needed godly leaders to help it grow and stay true to the gospel. Paul understood this need, which is why he wrote letters to some of the leaders in the church. Two of these leaders were Timothy and Titus. Timothy was Paul’s friend. He had traveled with Paul and helped him. Now Timothy was a leader at the church in Ephesus.
Titus was a Gentile believer. He had traveled with Paul too. Now Titus was on the island of Crete to help train more church leaders. Paul wrote to give Timothy and Titus advice, and he gave instructions for all the church leaders.
Paul warned Timothy and Titus that being a leader was difficult at times, but God had chosen them to be leaders. Their role as leaders put them in a position to serve God. Paul hoped that recognizing this would help them persevere and live in a way that pleased Christ.
As you share with your kids, help them see the value in God’s gift of church leaders. Look for ways to support your leaders so that your kids value them, love them, and respect them. Consider ways your family can encourage your leaders.
At the same time, emphasize that God is at work in them and that they too might be leaders in the church one day—perhaps one day soon. Help your kids see that being a leader is a great privilege to help point others to the gospel.
Finally, be sure that your kids understand that church leaders do not lead on their own. All church leaders follow the leadership of Jesus, who was a servant-leader to us. He gave His life so that we could be forgiven of our sins.
Paul wrote to give Timothy and Titus advice and to help all church leaders know how to lead God’s people. Church leaders help believers know what is true, and they serve the church by following the example of Jesus, who served us by dying on the cross for our sins.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
- Babies and Toddlers
- God gives us a mission.
- Jesus served us by dying on the cross for our sins.
- Timothy and Titus were church leaders.
- Paul wrote letters to encourage them.
- Paul said to tell about Jesus even when it is hard.
- Paul wrote letters to leaders in the church.
- What is our mission as Christians? Our mission is to make followers of Jesus from every nation by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Paul told church leaders to trust and obey God.
- What is our mission as Christians? Our mission is to make disciples of all nations by the power of the Holy Spirit.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
- Matthew 28:19-20
- “The Jerusalem Council” (Acts 15)