Parents, I want to give you some guidance when talking through the sermon from this Sunday with your kids. Maybe you can do a recap tonight during your family worship time or during dinner.
Be sure to check out the lesson for this Sunday and let the kids watch the Easter story. It is found here. Here are some discussion starter questions to connect what they are learning with the sermon:
- What was your favorite part of today?
- Last week we talked about sin. Remind kids of the definition of sin. (It means we have an icky heart. We don’t honor and glorify God with our words and actions because our heart is icky.)
- Ask, Do you and I have sin in our hearts? (Yes)
- Ask them if they remember who saves us from our sin? (Jesus saves us from sin.)
- Ask if they know the Easter story.
- Share with them that Jesus lived a perfect life; meaning he never sinned. Tell them how Jesus died on a cross to rescue us from our sins. Jesus died on the cross and was dead for 3 days. He rose to life of the third day and left an empty tomb. Jesus had defeated death. We celebrate this on Easter.
- Let’s review…What is sin? (It means we have an icky heart. We don’t honor and glorify God with our words and actions because our heart is icky. Older kids: And we desire to honor and serve ourselves more than we desire to glorify God)
- Who does the Bible tell us has sinned? (ALL)
- Who was the one person that lived a perfect, sinless life? (Jesus)
- Who saves us from our sins? (Jesus saves us from our sins.)
- How did Jesus save us from our sins (Be sure to tell us how the Easter story is a part of it)? (God loved His creation. His creation was perfect until they sinned then all peopled sinned! God is Holy and He cannot even look at sins. People’s sin separated them from God because he cannot be in a friendship with sin, He is Holy. God had a plan though! He would send His son Jesus to rescue us! Jesus lived a perfect sinless life so He could take the wrath and punishment for our sins. Jesus died on the cross and was dead for 3 days. He rose to life of the third day and left an empty tomb. Jesus had defeated death. We celebrate this on Easter. Jesus took our sins and took them to the cross and died with them. He also gave us His perfect righteousness aka right appearance before God. How cool is that! All of this happened because God loves us and wants to be able to have a relationship with us. Our job is to respond to this free gift of Jesus. To respond we have to admit that we are sinners and want to change, believe the Jesus is God’s son and did died on the cross to rescue us, and finally we need to commit our life to live in a way that bring Glory to God because we love Him and want to honor Him!)
Check out this video for a little help. It walks through the The Gospel.
- See if you can remember the words and the motions to show your parents. (At the end, challenge the kids to think of one person they could share The Gospel with. Even tell someone that knows is good practices and helps make them more comfortable sharing it.)
- God rules: Make a circle with your two hands and place it over you as though setting a crown on your head.
- We sinned: Cross your forearms in front of you to make a large X over your chest.
- God provided: Rotate the X you are making 90 degrees so that it resembles a cross.
- Jesus gives: hold both hands together in front of you as though giving a gift or cupping water.
- We respond: Hold both arms over your head with hands open as though praising God.
I hope this helps you talk with your kids about worship and tie the information in with our weekly lessons which are only available on the blog. Remember the Bible is one big story and it is important for us to learn that whole story!